The Versatile Blogger Award
We won another award! We won! We won! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok maybe I have had too much coffee. Perhaps. But I am excited for good reason! We have just been honoured with a Versatile Bloggers Award by Naomi from Probe Around the Globe. In Naomi’s words:
“it is an award given from bloggers to other bloggers, celebrating diverse subjects and applauding creative writing. Most blogs are about keyword and SEO optimisation and about followers’ numbers, but the Versatile Blogger Award emphasises on online writers and photographers”
The Versatile Bloggers award is one we are super happy to receive as it means our little blog is growing in the right direction. This award focuses on the diversity and usefulness of the content as well as the quality of the photography, two things that we think are essential for a successful blog.
This is yet another great opportunity for us to share a little about ourselves. We know- you guys obviously have so many questions about us it might even keep you up at night, right?…
Alright, maybe not. So we will just tell you these things anyway!
Seven Facts about ShaTara:
1. Sha’s first international trip was at just 16 years old. He went to Bali with a friend and has frequented the island of the gods so much over the years that customs officials often suspect him of being a drug dealer (lucky we had to get new passports recently haha). Between us, we have been to Bali at least 30 times. It is actually cheaper and faster to fly from Perth to Bali than from Perth to Melbourne!
2. I am a new vegan. “how do you know if someone is vegan? They’ll tell ya!” haha yeah thats me! So many people sympathise with veganism for the animal, health, and environmental reasons, but most people come up with a bunch of creative (and not so creative) excuses. I was one of those people that thought I wouldn’t survive while traveling if I cut out all dairy. Turns out I needn’t have worried- it’s possible, and not as hard as you think. I have made quite a few vegetarian travel guides over the past few months, but am yet to get some purely vegan guides up. Feel free to shoot me any questions about this and I’d be happy to help.
3. Sha loves fishing, much to my dismay. I swear he loves it more than he loves me. He used to own his very own 5 metre boat and loves nothing more than getting out on the ocean. If you ever need a deckie, or some fishing tips- He’s your guy!
4. We are both from Perth, Australia. I actually grew up in country Victoria, before moving to Geelong, and then onto Perth when I was about 12. Before last year Sha had never visited the East Coast of Australia so I took him over to Victoria to meet some of my family. We’ll get to the rest of Australia one day!
5. Sha’s first ever swim at the beach was at 2 months old. He has been addicted ever since. He is the reason I’m only slightly retarded in the water these days; yeahhhh I never used to be able to dive under water. I’ve never met anyone else who is as comfortable under water as they are above. He used his merman skills to survive being pounded repetitively by 5-foot waves in Puerto Escondido a few years back.
6. We have fantasised about opening our own hostel/backpackers for a few years now. Just two months ago we started making plans and enquiries about doing this in Flores, Indonesia. We seriously got so into this idea for about 48 hours. Having travelled so much we have some pretty great ideas- maybe you can hire us as consultants if you ever open a backpackers? 😉
7. Sha is a born and bred Australian, and his family are Muslim. He didn’t really think this was a worthwhile fact to share, but I think it’s important that people get to know just how many normal people are Muslims. The media sure doesn’t help with this, I could go on… but I won’t right now!
So thats it, most of those facts should be new to most if not all of you guys! Where any old news?Let us know in the comments below!
Now, onto the fun part- passing on the award! Just to remind you, the versatile blogger award should award blogs that share diverse and original content as well as quality photography. The blogs I have chosen to honour on definitely tick these boxes! Here they are, in no particular order…
www.wanderlustingk.com : Karen is an expat as well as a devout traveller. I love that her guides are always in depth, with local knowledge. You can be sure that she will never just scratch the surface.
www.wanderingwagars.com : Kevin and Christina travel the globe with their tots and share great photos. I’m constantly trying to remember their expert toddler wrangling skills so we can travel with our kids one day!
www.theflyawaygirl.com : Penelope is the queen of squeezing as much out of her travels as possible. I don’t know how she manages to accomplish all the traveling and writing and photographing and editing that she does. Her blog is always full of good info and great photography to boot.
www.gypsealust.com : Lauren has been an Instagram queen for much longer than she has been a blogger. Her images are to die for and hard to go past if you’re looking for inspiration.
www.frankiegoestomilano.wordpress.com : Frankie is a Scott living in Milan teaching English. She makes some really open admissions about teaching and living overseas and is always cracking hilarious jokes.
www.adoration4adventure.com : Chantell and Darrell are also a travelling couple and half Australian. Not only was Chantell one of my first blogging mentors through FTB but these guys are also big on budgets just like me!
www.wanderwithjo.com : Jo is a little Indian pocket rocket. Her blog is always entertaining and she writes about things that I had never even heard about, as well as all the usual suspects.
www.lindagoeseast.com : Linda has some really great guides to teaching English abroad, and all of her photos are always so bright and colourful. I also have incredible hair envy, as I used to have red hair and I miss it so much!
Ok, I was going to elect seven winners for the award to reflect the seven facts requires. Now that I have finished I seem to have eight. Ooops! That’s the beautiful thing about this award, I don’t think I will get in trouble for going over and above 😉
Do yourself a favour and check out all of these blogs as well as the lovely Naomi over at www.probearoundtheglobe.com who nominated us!